Thursday, October 23, 2014

Balancing Work and Family

Have you stopped and wondered am I really a good parent? Take a second and think about it... 
Just recently I saw a post on FaceBook that made me stop and think about it. The post was of a little boy who asks his dad how much money he made an hour. The Dad get mad at the kid and yells at the boy saying it was none of his business. Kid starts crying and the dad says if you must know I make 100$ an hour. The boy asks the dad for 50$ , pisses the old man off even more. Father storms away and after some time he realizes that he never asked the kid why he needed the 50$. 
Dad returns to the kid before bed and asks why he need the money. He gives the boy 50 and the boy pulls 50$ from under his pillow he already had. The father gets even more pissed saying why do you need more money when you have 50$ already. The boy says now I have enough... Enough for what the dad asks. The little kid looks at him and says I have enough money 100$ to buy an hour of your time. Can you please come home 1 hour early tomorrow so we can eat dinner together?
The dad was crushed and put his arms around his son and begged for his forgiveness. 
This is a short reminder to all of us that work so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. 
Do you remember to share that 100$ worth of your time with someone you love?  I often find myself guilty of this. Im focused on the pay check and not the family. Fortunately for me, I have a wife who reminds me of this. Without her I would not see this. Sometimes I get wrapped up in the dollar and cents when I should be coloring, having a crazy dance off in the living room or doing wii boxing with my son while my wife and daughter play princess dress up. That is what life is about. Kids grow up and before you know it, they will be asking to borrow the car and you will never be able to get that time back. 

So ask yourself the question again. Are you a good parent? If you know the answer great. If your unsure, take a step back and think about how your kids would answer.  

Thanks for listening and enjoy your life, because it's too precisous not too. 

Thanks for reading. Leave your thoughts !!

Scott  


No comments:

Post a Comment